How to Find a Low Cost Sailboat Part One

How to Find a Low Cost Sailboat Part One

My interest in sailing started after a trip to the gulf coast of Florida. I was fascinated with the thought of using the wind to power my thirst for water adventures.

Fast forward to today and I have a 1991 Macgregor 26S (26' long with water ballast) "trailer sailor" and a 1982 Precision 16 dinghy (16' long with live ballast - the crew is the ballast). I take family out on the Macgregor (has a cabin) and I race the Precision 16.

Precision 16 Line Drawing
Precision 16 Line Drawing


Precision 16 on Trailer
Precision 16 on a Trailer with Oars!


Macgregor 26S Line Drawing
Macgregor 26S Line Drawing

Macgregor 26S Promotional Photo
Macgregor 26S Promotion Photo




I live in the southwest of Ohio which is the tri-state area near Cincinnati. There are many sailing associations located at the numerous lakes that also have sailing racing seasons from April to October. 

Before you go looking for a sailboat I would recommend finding some of the sailing associations or groups near you. Talk to the leadership and if you like the group or association join up. Crewing with members will give you valuable insight into the size and type of sailboat you may like. Also many times people in the association are selling, or know of someone who is selling, a sailboat. While these might appear more expensive than a project boat, actually going for a "test sail" is worth a lot and may save you money in the long run.


Here are some highlights that will help you not make my original novice mistakes and get stuck with a large project that can turn into a money pit.

Figure out your budget - project boats are lower cost than "ready to sail" boats but will require some DIY skills. A "Ready to Sail" sailboat may appear to cost more but after analysis may actually be less expensive than a project boat:
  • Am I handy with  woodworking DIY tools?
  • Can I do simple fiberglass work or learn how?
  • Do I know how to do simple mechanical repairs?
  • Do I have a place to store the sailboat while I work on it?
  • Can I make a spreadsheet with actual material and equipment costs?
Understand your sailing ability and support network:
  • Have I taken lessons? Having some knowledge of sailing will help you review a sailboat much better then if you have no experience (I had no experience when I started and made some mistakes).
  • Do I belong to a sailing associations? Having some acquaintances who are sailors can be very helpful to get some technical information.
  • Friends and family - do they know how to sail?
  • Will I be sailing solo most of the time?

Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace:
Searching on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for used sailboats, sailboats, boats, and used boats (sellers often put their sailboats in the wrong category) will often turn up a variety of used sailboats. If possible, open up your search area to several hundred miles. In my areas I have often found used sailboats are scattered around my area for hundreds of miles. 

Note that you will probably not be able to test sail a used sailboat on Craigslist or Facebook Market place.

Key points when dealing with Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace:
  • Get the Hull Identification Number (HIN) for the sailboat from the current owner.
  • Run a search on the HIN. Here are few - they charge but it is worth the cost to make sure you are not buying a stolen boat.
  • Check your local regulations about boat titles and boat registration. In my area a sailboat 14' or longer requires a title before it can be registered. 
  • Ask the current owner about title and registration.
  • Do not go to look at or buy a sailboat that does not have a title (if you area requires titles). While the seller may tell you differently it is too probably too much hassle to try and get a lost title.
  • Make sure the sailboat comes with a working trailer. 
  • In my area trailer registration is fairly easy to get done and small boat trailers do not require a title.
Some key questions to ask before looking at the sailboat:
  • When was the last time the boat has sailed?
  • What are the conditions of the sails?
  • What is the condition of the standing rigging? 
    • This is all of the wire cables that hold up the mast and shrouds.
    • Also includes the hardware to connect to the hull.
  • What is the condition of the running rigging?
    • This is the "ropes" or sheets, lines and halyard.
    • Also includes the blocks, "fiddles", cam cleats, jammers, and other hardware to adjust and hold the sails.
  • What is the condition of the hull?
  • Does it have a complete and working mast?
  • Does it have a complete and working boom?
  • Does it have a working rudder and tiller?
  • Does it have a working centerboard or swing centerboard?
  • Motor? Outboard? Condition?
Other key factors that will influence your decision:
  1. Is there a source for "sailboat specific" parts? My Macgregor 26S has several aftermarket sources for boat specific hardware and accessories. 
  2. Is the company that made the sailboat still in business? While my Macgregor and Precision sailboat OEM companies are out of business, there is aftermarket support for both.
  3. If not, are there Facebook groups that have this sailboat? There are several Macgregor FB groups and one Precision group - very helpful!
If a used sailboat does not have aftermarket support and/or a Facebook group you may have a very difficult project on your hands. Unless you are very experienced it will be difficult to figure out boat specific stuff (mast, boom, mainsheet, foresail rigging, mainsail rigging, and standing/running rigging).

From my experiences only a small handful of people selling used sailboats can answer most, if any, of the detailed sailboat specific questions. Early on I was so anxious to find a deal that I would rush out to check on sailboats without asking the above questions. I would rush out and after driving for hours find that the owner did not have a title and most of the key components of the sailboat were missing. Most of these sellers thought that a sailboat hull was a complete sailboat! They had no sailing experiences so a sailboat hull on a trailer was a sailboat!

My experiences on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace:

I found a 1991 Macgregor 26S on Craigslist. In my impatience and inexperience went out and looked at the sailboat. A farmer had it in covered storage for 20 years and had never sailed her. While all of the parts and pieces were there and he had the title, I did not really know what I was looking at (much of the stuff was worn by the years of sitting and dry rot). However, it was love at first sight and I paid too much up front. After the purchase and really digging into the sailboat, I spent months fixing, repairing, and wound up spending thousands of dollars on sails, running and standing rigging, trailer parts, and a new outboard motor. I still sail her and enjoy the boat but my wife reminds my quite often how much I have invested.

My next experience, after following my own advice stated in this blog, was much better. After looking at and and rejecting many sailboats (online Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace), I found the 1982 Precision 16. A farmer had been sailing her at Acton Lake (where I sail) and was moving and this was forcing the sale of his baby. He had the title, all of the parts and pieces, and was an avid fan of sailing. I was able to buy the boat for $1,000 with a trailer. 

Hopefully this helps you on your journey and happy sailing!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can You Buy a Used Sailboat for Under $2,000?